Ambitious plans... but we're on our way
To achieve a transformation of the green heart of Mumbles we need to be ambitious,
so the plans for Underhill Park have been developed to reflect what people want to see happen, and that’s quite a lot!
Our list includes:
- Modern public conveniences which are well looked after and can accommodate everyone’s needs
- New accessible changing facilities for sports teams so they don’t have to turn up in their kit, ready to play, because the current facilities are so poor
- Ancillary facilities to support the teams with a room for first aid/ sports physio
- A new floodlit All Weather Pitch which will extend playing time and offer training facilities for other sports
- Outdoor play facilities for younger children
- A place to meet and socialise – for sports clubs, supporters and the community in general
- State of the art gym facilities to make it easy for people to keep fit and healthy
- Improved car parking and access to it
A Phased Approach
To help get things done, the overall project has been split into phases.
Within the first phase, we have incremental plans which will enable us to move forward as the necessary funding is secured, or to prioritise elements for which we have been able to secure grants.
We’re on our way
The planning for Go Underhill has been underway for some time and we’ve got a lot done already.
The most critical elements we’ve achieved so far are…
Preparing for the developments:
- Planning submitted to City & County of Swansea for new changing rooms, refurbished Pavilion and new All Weather Pitch – July’19; Approved November’19
- Agreement reached with the Somerset Trust for a Deed of Consent to release MCA from the restrictive covenant placed on the Park. This will enable us to carry out all the developments proposed in the Development Plan with any income generated being used for the community benefit – July’19
- Tenders received for All Weather Pitch and surface water drainage works – June’19
- Agreement reached with City & County of Swansea for Mumbles Community Association to lead a transformation project and subsequently take on the lease of Underhill Park – July’18
- Planning approved by City & County of Swansea for Community Hub building, which helped establish the principle of developing in the Park – October’16
Securing the funding:
- Mumbles Community Council decide to enter into a Community Partnership with MCA to support delivery of many of the Phase 1 elements – May’20
- MCA invited to submit a Stage 2 applicaton to National Lottery Community Fund for the community hub and cafe – March’20
- Iconic local buinsess, Joe’s Ice-cream, agree 10k sponsorship for Go Underhill – Feb’20
- Plans for crowdfunding and fundraising developed – from April’19 and ongoing
- Bids submitted to a range of grant funding bodies – from April’19 and on going
- Support funding of £150k/annum for 2 years allocated to the project by Mumbles Community Council, subject to matching the contribution from other sources – April’18
Transforming the green heart of Mumbles so it's fit for the future: By the community; for everyone.
Being delivered by Mumbles Community Association, Registered Charity No. 1164553