Ambitious plans... but we're well on our way
To achieve a transformation of the green heart of Mumbles we need to be ambitious,
so the plans for Underhill Park have been developed to reflect what people want to see happen, and that’s quite a lot!
Our list includes:
- Modern public conveniences which are well looked after and can accommodate everyone’s needs
- New accessible changing facilities for sports teams, so they don’t have to turn up in their kit, ready to play, because the current facilities are so poor
- Ancillary facilities to support the teams with a room for first aid/ sports physio
- A new floodlit All Weather Pitch which will extend playing time and offer training facilities for other sports
- Outdoor play facilities for younger children
- A place to meet and socialise – for sports clubs, supporters and the community in general
- State of the art gym facilities to make it easy for people to keep fit and healthy
- Improved car parking and access to it
A Phased Approach
To help get things done, the overall project has been split into phases.
Within the first phase, incremental plans were created to enable us to move forward as the necessary funding was secured, or to prioritise elements for which we have been able to secure grants.
We’re on our way
The planning for Go Underhill has been underway for some time and we’ve got a lot done already.
In January 2022 we were thrilled to announce that the construction contract for Phase 1 works had been let, and work got underway on 17 January.
The most critical elements we’ve achieved so far are…
Preparing for the developments:
- Check out the progress images from the building project, shown by month from Jan’22 to date!
- Work on construction of the Phase 1 buildings commences – Jan’22.
- Contract for Phase 1 construction let to T.A.D. Builders Ltd. – December’21
- Four completed tenders returned for Phase 1 construction works – November’21
- Invitations to tender for the building works on Phase 1 of Go Underhill are sent out – September’21
- Following the signing of the tripartite lease agreement between Swansea Council, Mumbles Community Council and MCA, final preparations get underway to put Phase 1 building works out to tender – July’21
- Applications made for some minor material amendments to the Planning approval, and to be released from planning conditions – March/April’21; Approved August’21
- Full professional team appointed to develop Phase 1 to tender stage – July’20
- Planning submitted to City & County of Swansea for new changing rooms, refurbished Pavilion and new All Weather Pitch – July’19; Approved November’19
- Agreement reached with the Somerset Trust for a Deed of Consent to release MCA from the restrictive covenant placed on the Park. This will enable us to carry out all the developments proposed in the Development Plan with any income generated being used for the community benefit – July’19
- Tenders received for All Weather Pitch and surface water drainage works – June’19
- Agreement reached with City & County of Swansea for Mumbles Community Association to lead a transformation project and subsequently take on the lease of Underhill Park – July’18
- Planning approved by City & County of Swansea for Community Hub building, which helped establish the principle of developing in the Park. Support in preparing the planning application was provided by Tom Kinver of Kinver Kreations Ltd – October’16
Securing the funding:
- Swansea Building Society donate another £40k, giving a magnificent £50k in total – Feb’23
- Sport Wales’s Pitch Collaboration Group approve a grant of £250k towards the new AWP – Jan’23
- Swansea Council awarded MCA £330k in match funding towards the costs of the new AWP – Dec’22
- Individual and company donations totalling over £50k secured between January and April’22 – please see our Funding page for details
- Mumbles Community Council grant an extra £40k and reallocate the £325k committed to the AWP, enabling MCA to let the construction contract – December’21
- Public donations of over £1,250 received at the Cracker 7’s event – August’21
- Mumbles Community Association signs up to AmazonSmile as a way of generating on-going donations – June’21
- £250k grant awarded to Go Underhill from the Welsh Government’s Community Facilities Programme – June’21
- Mumbles Community Council sign a legally binding grant agreement for up to £1.2 million to develop Underhill Park – March’21
- £10k donation received from a local business man – Dec’20
- Dawsons estate agents donate £5,000 to Go Underhill – Nov’20
- Almost £490k awarded by The National Lottery Communities Fund to build the new Community Hub & Café – Oct’20
- Mumbles Community Council decide to enter into a Community Partnership with MCA to support delivery of many of the Phase 1 elements – May’20
- Iconic local buinsess, Joe’s Ice-cream, announce 10k donation to Go Underhill – Feb’20
- Plans for crowdfunding and fundraising developed – from April’19 and ongoing
- Bids submitted to a range of grant funding bodies – from April’19 and on going
- Support funding of £150k/annum for 2 years allocated to the project by Mumbles Community Council, subject to matching the contribution from other sources – April’18