Phase 1 - something for everyone
Phase 1, which is now mostly completed, includes the following:
For all park users:
- Upgrading the Pavilion and restoring the changing room with upgraded facilities.
- Adding a new multi-purpose Community Hub & Café, where people can relax and refresh themselves, and which will also provide the base for a full activity programme that offers something for everyone.
- Using the space created where the new Hub connects to the Pavilion to provide a small meeting room, which is available for hire.
- Adding new landscaping outside the Pavilion, Community Hub & Café to create a ‘welcome’ area and a space for outdoor seating.
For sports users:
- Developing 4 new changing rooms, referee’s room, equipment storage and a dedicated room for a physio in the main block, to replace the previous rundown changing facilities.
- Adding a further 2 changing rooms with supporting storage so that all players can be accommodated when the park is in full use.
- Following completion of the new changing facilities, we have demolished the old changing rooms to create the space where a brand new, floodlit, All Weather Pitch is currently being built.
- Alongside the AWP, a new footpath is going in to link the Hub to the existing car park .
Throught the development, work has been or will be undertaken to ensure we have effective surface water drainage to help minimise the impact of heavy rainfall on the existing pitches. There is a limit to what can be achieved, however, as Underhill Park is a designated catchment area for run off, in order to protect surrounding housing from flooding.
All new facilities are accessible, ensuring everyone can enjoy the delights of Underhill Park.
How much has it cost?
In 2020, the total cost of delivering the Phase 1 plans was estimated at around £2.676 million. This included VAT which we were hoping to be able to reclaim, bringing the cost down to approximately £2.3 million.
Due to the impact of BREXIT and COVID, by the time the project was tendered the costs rose significantly, to well over £2m for the construction alone, with around £1m needed for a full-size all-weather pitch on top of this amount.
Due to some successful grant bids and fantastic support from organisations, individuals and businesses with a connection to Underhill, we’ve been able to get the Phase 1 construction underway and hope to complete all elements, including the AWP, in early autumn’23.
The total cost of the whole of Phase 1 is just over £3.3m