Phase 1 - something for everyone
Phase 1, which now has planning permission, includes the following:
For all park users:
- Upgrading the Pavilion, with new storage and public toilet facilities
- Add a new multi-purpose Community Hub & Café, where people can relax and refresh themselves, and which will also provide the base for a full activity programme that offers something for everyone
- Complement this with a toddlers’ play/outdoor education area and new landscaping outside the Pavilion and Community Hub & Café
For sports users:
- Develop 4 new changing rooms, referee’s room, equipment storage and a dedicated room for a physio, to replace the current rundown changing facilities
- Add a further 2 changing rooms with supporting storage so that all players can be accommodated when the park is in full use
To create new sports facilities:
- Following completion of the new changing facilities, demolish the old changing rooms and develop a brand new, floodlit, All Weather Pitch and create a new footpath to the car park. As part of this element, work would be undertaken to ensure we have effective surface water drainage to help prevent the existing pitches becoming water-logged
All new facilities will be fully accessible, ensuring everyone can enjoy the delights of Underhill Park.
How much will it cost?
In 2020, the total cost of delivering the Phase 1 plans was estimated at around £2.676 million. This includes VAT which we are hoping to be able to reclaim, which would bring the cost down to approximately £2.3 million. We are, however, now anticipating that the tender prices will be higher due to the impact of BREXIT and COVID and have therefore increased our fundraising targets to £2.5m.
That’s a large sum, but we’re making lots of grant applications and also raising money through donations and sponsorship from individuals, community groups and businesses, so we’re confident we can get there.
Find out about our funding plans, how you can help and see who’s already supporting us.