Phase 1 - something for everyone
Phase 1, which is currently underway, includes the following:
For all park users:
- Upgrading the Pavilion, with new storage and public toilet facilities
- Add a new multi-purpose Community Hub & Café, where people can relax and refresh themselves, and which will also provide the base for a full activity programme that offers something for everyone
- Using the space created with the new Hub and the Pavilion to provide a small meeting room, which will be available for hire
- We also hope to complement these facilities with an outdoor education area and new landscaping outside the Pavilion, Community Hub & Café
For sports users:
- Develop 4 new changing rooms, referee’s room, equipment storage and a dedicated room for a physio, to replace the current rundown changing facilities
- Add a further 2 changing rooms with supporting storage so that all players can be accommodated when the park is in full use
Although yet to be fully funded, we also hope to create new sports facilities:
- Following completion of the new changing facilities, demolish the old changing rooms and develop a brand new, floodlit, All Weather Pitch and create a new footpath to the car park. As part of this element, work would be undertaken to ensure we have effective surface water drainage to help minimise the impact of heavy rainfall on the existing pitches
All new facilities will be accessible, ensuring everyone can enjoy the delights of Underhill Park.
How much will it cost?
In 2020, the total cost of delivering the Phase 1 plans was estimated at around £2.676 million. This included VAT which we were hoping to be able to reclaim, bringing the cost down to approximately £2.3 million.
Due to the impact of BREXIT and COVID the costs rose significantly, to well over £2m for the construction alone, with a full-size all-weather pitch on top of this amount.
Due to some successful grant bids and fantastic support from individuals and businesses with a connection to Underhill, we’ve been able to get the Phase 1 construction underway. We are still seeking grant support and funding to enable us to deliver the AWP, and to finish off the buildings and surrounding landscape in a way which is fitting for these superb new facilities.